Hervey Bay Gospel Chapel is one of the oldest, maybe the oldest, church in Hervey Bay.
Mr and Mrs Emil Jensen Snr developed a property at the corner of Scrub Hill Road and Lower Mountain Road. After they met other Christians in the area, it was decided to start a Brethren Assembly. Their first meeting, thought to have been in 1898 was held under the big fig tree on Jensen’s property.
Emil Jensen built a Hall on his property and this was used until 1922. Many had to travel by horse and sulky or walk, in some cases up to 20 km, on dirt roads and bush tracks. By 1909 there were approximately 30 in regular attendance.
Their efforts to conduct services were supported by visits from gifted evangelists and bible teachers.
Bruce and May Todd were among the pioneering evangelists who used the affordable transport of the day for transport from place to place. In this case it is a horse drawn vehicle. Later, Gospel vans became fashionable. Still later, early motor cars were used to move to various destinations. Note the Gospel text which was often a feature of such vehicles.
In 1922 Assembly activities moved to the corner of Hunter Street and Torquay Road.
This Gospel Hall was built to replace a similar smaller Hall at Nikenbah. Mr Andrew Andersen donated the land and most of the timber. Mr Emil Jensen donated the flooring. Mr Martin Andersen at the age of 80 made the windows by hand and fitted them. The Hall was built on high stumps and was 11 m x 5.5 m.